Wednesday 5 June 2013

Today’s Usage Tip: Reduce swelling during pregnancy with fruits and vegetables

Some bloating is common during pregnancy. Pregnancy swelling, or edema, is the result of the body filling with extra fluids during gestation, notes the American Pregnancy Association. These additional fluids allow for tissues and joints to expand, making room for fetal growth and delivery. But while some extra fluid is necessary, pregnant women can consume certain foods to reduce the worst of the swelling symptoms.
 
High-Potassium Foods
The APA recommends women eat high-potassium foods to help reduce swelling. Because potassium is often flushed from the system by diuretic medication, women given a prescription to cope with pregnancy swelling should get an extra amount of the mineral. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, foods highest in potassium include sweet potatoes, white potatoes, tomato paste and tomato puree, white beans, clams, halibut, yogurt, carrot juice and prune juice. These foods all have at least 10 percent of the recommended daily value for potassium. The portable banana, another high potassium food, offers about 9 percent of the potassium you need in an average-size serving.

Vegetables and Fruits
Some natural foods, especially vegetables and fruits, help flush your system of extra fluids. These foods, known as diuretics, cause extra urination, so check with your obstetrician to determine if you should keep your intake of these foods to a specific amount. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, diuretic foods that may help reduce the symptoms of edema include onions, asparagus, parsley, leafy greens, leeks, garlic, beets and grapes.


Diuretic Teas
Some herbs also act as diuretics, notes UMMC. Dried bilberry and dandelion leaf are both available in capsule or tea form. Taking them in warm or chilled tea ensures you also get the extra liquid recommended for women during pregnancy. Consuming water-based drinks like herbal tea, which is naturally decaffeinated, helps flush extra fluids from your body.

Warning
If your doctor prescribes diuretics to cope with excess swelling, avoid also consuming diuretic foods or teas, unless she recommends it. While some swelling is normal during pregnancy, check frequently with your obstetrician about the level of fluid retention you’re experiencing. According to MayoClinic.com. untreated edema can lead to infection or poor blood circulation, putting your health and that of your baby at risk.

Additional Measures
Limiting certain foods or practices can be just as important during pregnancy as what you add to your routine. The APA notes that having too much caffeine and salt contributes to extra swelling. Reduce or eliminate these substances from your diet as much as possible. Resting with your feet up, avoiding long periods of standing or being outside in hot weather, wearing supportive hosiery and applying cool compresses also reduce pregnancy swelling.

 References
USDA: Food Sources of Selected Nutrients

3 comments:

  1. How i got Ex Boyfriend back, I'm Maria 21 yr old from England, my boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you.This is his E-mail: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or Add him up on Whats-app: +2348071622464,you can also visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Names are Mrs Faith Daniels,,My testimony goes like this I have been been married for six years without a child, I have visited several hospitals and I was told i can't not conceive because i was having fibroid,,I have been treated and even undergoes cloistral operation but still couldn't conceive until One day i came across Dr sambo via his email divinespellhome@gmail.com and i contacted him and told him about my predicament and he said to me that it is finish... I key to his word and i followed him up he prepared me some herbs and send it to my state..I started using the herbs following his prescriptions,,as i was taking the herbs i started noticing some changes in my body,,to cut everything short i missed my period and today i have a set of twins..I can't just keep it to my self i decided to post it here online for everyone to see the work God has done in my life true his son Dr sambo.. God bless Dr sambo and more grace to his work..

    Dr. Sambo E-MAIL: divinespellhome@outlook.com

    Dr. Sambo PHONE: +2348145810121

    Dr. Sambo Whats,App.+2348145810121

    ( Go through his website https://divinespellhome3.wixsite.com/spellhome for more details)
    Indeed, he is a great and a lovely man, God bless him for uniting my family.


    ReplyDelete
  3. RECENTLY CURED FROM HIV ..hello, i am very happy to inform you that i am finally cured from HIV virus with the use of herbal medicine, the herbal medicine cured me completely and i was tested negative after usege, i am using this means to inform other''s who have the virus that there is a cure for HIV. it is absolutley true, this is not a scam. i confirm it my self and i am a living withness to it. i was cured by Dr.Camala, only him i can recognise who cure hiv perfectly well the rest other doctor are scams . i will advice you to contact this great doctor who GOD sent to put an end to the sorrow life of HIV, his email is dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com WHATSAPP +2349055637784, he can also cure other disease as well.

    ReplyDelete